Mar 1, 2016


Most Ethiopians especially in towns are without doubt on familiar terms with the name Woubshet Workalemahu. He was born in 1938 EC in an area called 'Mafud', the province of 'Menze' and 'Yifat'. This hero figure is the ninth child of the family. He is a father of two. One of his sons is a Professor. The other one is financial expert and investor. Woubshet has a diploma in creative advertisement from the Netherlands. Furthermore, he possesses a diploma in advertising and public relations from American Biographical Institute. Woubshet loves his country more than anything and known for his philanthropic works. Above and beyond, he was able to collect over 155,000,000 birr for humanitarian works at no cost. If he had been paid for this, he would have collected up to 15 million birr.

More to the point, at the time when the people of Wollo were hit by drought and the Southern Nations, Nationalities and Peoples of Ethiopia were hit by flash flood, Woubshet has publicized his solidarity by organizing various fund-raising activities. Moreover, a couple of years ago when Dire Dawa city was flooded, he played a part in arranging a telethon in conjunction with his workmates with the intention of rehabilitating the victims. Hence, the committee was able to collect over 100,000,000 birr. Devoid of any hyperbole, there was no stone Wubshet left unturned to drag the victims from the trouble they were in as instantly as possible.

Being active member of the society, Woubshet is board member of the Ethiopian Red Cross Society and the Addis Ababa Chamber of Commerce, Chairman of Badminton Federation, President of the Ethiopian Swimming Federation and the likes.

Woubshet is the first African to win the Ad Honorem in advertising and public relations. To everyone's surprise, he has visited 43 countries thus far. He speaks four languages: Amharic, Ge'ez, English and Russian. During the Ethiopian Millennium, Woubshet has been also chosen as Honorary Ambassador of the Generation. He had recently a stay with The Ethiopian Herald to share his professional and private life to the general public. Excerpts;

I have been clued up that you bear a resemblance to Emperor Haile-Sellassie in many ways. What is more, there was even a time you turned out to be once the talk of the general public in this regard. Is it true?

Certainly is. During Haile-Selassie regime people thought that I bear a resemblance to Emperor Haile-Selassie in an assortment of ways. This rumour was spread across the country like a wildfire all at once. To the best of my knowledge, the tittle-tattle was able to spread throughout the country on the basis of various reasons. For instance, as my father was the governor of Arsi Province, he did not have the faintest idea that I was conceived. During Haile-Selassie regime, when on earth the Emperor went to Wollo, he was in the habit of taking rest under a big tree situated in 'Chira Meda'. At that specific juncture, beautiful women drawn from different areas of our surrounding were sent to accompany him. As my mother was also one of the most beautiful women of the time, she was also sent to the big tree. While we are on the subject, my father went to meet his maker when I was one. The reason why I also wear a cloak has its own story. The thing was, on one occasion I had the chance of taking part in theatrical play revolving around Emperor Haile-Selassie. In the stage play, I acted like the Emperor. The Emperor was one of the attendances. He turned out to be infinitely happy along this line. At the end of the day, he asked me what I ardently desire. I told him without any fear that I would be happy if he gave me his cloak. After the Emperor laughed till his sides shook secretly, he ordered one of the palace servants to bring me the cloak in the blink of any eye. When I tried it on happily and hurriedly, it was the wrong size. Almost immediately, the emperor ordered the servant to take the cloak back and bring me a gold medal containing his picture as an alternative. When the Emperor figured out my disappointment, he ordered a new cloak to be primed in my size. In the fullness of time, the Emperor blessed me to dress in the cloak at whatever time I am invited to significant occasions. There is something which always makes me laugh whenever I think back to the cloak. The thing was, once I went to Metu to show theatrical play concentrating on the Emperor. Numerous people had attended the play. The hall was full of audiences. When the programme officer began saying, "Now the Emperor is going to put in an appearance," all the audience rose to their feet respectfully. At that point in time, higher officials of the province were taking the weight off their feet in the front row of the hall. When I began shambling here and there on the stage acting and talking like the Emperor, the officials laid face down on the stage. When I was at a loss what to do, I said, "please be seated, we have seen you." Surprisingly, this part was not included in the play script. By the way, my father was a highly respected man. As I have tried to mention so far, he passed away, when I was one. As I have learnt from my father's photo, he used to wear a cloak. My grandfather was also in the habit of wearing a cloak all the time.

It is public knowledge that you are the pioneer of modern advertisement in Ethiopia. You have also passed through many ups and downs to take the industry to a new level of victory. By the way, what pushed you to get engaged in advertising?

It is a long story. To begin with, in the place where I was born, there was a popular market place called 'Mafud Amaha Eyesus.' Every Saturday, close to 3,000 people attended the market. When I realized the backwardness of the market system, I reached into a conclusion to come up with something which could alleviate the problem to some extent. My mother and my grandmother did not have the faintest idea about my plan as I did not utter a word mistakenly on the subject of the secret. At some point, I went to some businesspersons and said, "If you long to put up for sale your grains in the blink of an eye, pay me some amount of money. I will pick up the pace of selling your grains using my new creativities." In spite of the fact that all the businesspersons in the market place love me with all their heart, they were not willing to lend me their ears. They thought I was making fun of them.

In next to no time, I began explaining to customers the available number of oxen, sheep, goats and other goods in the market. I was also putting in plain words how many quintals of Teff and beans were obtainable. More often than not, I brought into play a sheep or goat hide to write lists of available items in the market using a bamboo pen with soot ink. Most people were thinking that I was going insane. However, I made use of various effective techniques which smooth the progress of the backward market system. Advertisement was introduced in our country earlier than the introduction of radio and television.

Would you tell us more about how you were able to come to Addis Ababa? What was life like in Addis ? When did you join the Hager Fiker Theatre?

Well, one of my brothers named Lij Gebreamlak Workalemahu was living in Addis Ababa, around Ras Desta Hospital. He was the governor of the then Woreda. In a short time, I was able to join Tesfa Kokeb Boarding School. At some point, I went to Hager Fiker Theatre with my family members to watch theatrical play. I watched the famous actors and actresses of the time were making the audience burst into laughter. They also made me laugh till my sides shook. In spite of the fact that I tried all I could to join the Hager Fiker Theatre, all my efforts went for nothing. Some other time, I went straight to Hager Fiker Theatre to beg them once again but with little hope. Fortuitously, I learnt that Hager Fiker Theatre was recruiting talented youths and thus I got registered in a little while seeing that I was excellent at acting. Sadly enough, as I was a student, I was forced to distance myself from Hager Fiker Theatre right away. At the time, I was in Tesfa Kokeb Boarding School, I was taking part in a certain theatrical play with artist Getachew Debelqe and artist Merawi Sitotaw. As I was excellent at acting, I was taken to Harar Hager Fiker Theatre where I was off from my studies. After I stayed in Harar for two solid years, I was transferred to the Addis Ababa Hager Fiker Theatre where I served as playwright, programme officer, actor and the likes.

How and when did you manage to open your own advertising and public relations organization? What were the challenges you have come across so far in due course of running the agency, if any? How do you define the current Ethiopian advertisement industry?

Most people are on familiar terms with Lion Advertising and Public Relations Organization that was opened in 1965 EC. By the way, I feel affection for lion very much. I do not even know why I am in love with lion up till now. I do not even think a lion can cause harm. Devoid of any exaggeration, I began harvesting the fruit of success within the shortest time possible. To my amazement, the start-up capital was only two thousand birr. I purchased the required office furniture on credit from my fans. By the way, Philips Company has helped me learn modern advertisement techniques in Holland. I would like to extend my hearty gratitude to Ato Hassen Mohammed and Mr. Boucamp for their support by the time.

Vividly, the advertisement industry in America and Europe has almost reached to advanced level. Though it is incomparable, the Ethiopian advertisement industry has also been demonstrating dramatic change with times. Furthermore, the payment for advertisement is not good enough. If we always keep on working dependably, we can handle our customers for long. As most businesspersons of our country know the benefits of advertisement, certainly the industry would be flourished. Additionally, prior to advertising , advertisers should know the inside out of the thing they are going to advertise. If you ask me, advertising is required for only good item.

What exactly do you think should be done to take Ethiopian advertisement industry to a better level?

The advertisement industry is growing from time to time even though it lacks ethical practices. To take the Ethiopian advertisement industry to a new level of accomplishment, I would suggest a certain association which can monitor the overall activities of the entire advertisers should be established. For instance, in most countries advertising tobacco and alcohol is completely impossible. In most cases, we do not accept advertisements which have the capacity of intimidating the youth's self-possession. We cannot simply bring advertisement techniques from other countries for the reason that our culture is a little bit tight.

I have been well-informed that you were confined to bed on one occasion due to a serious poor health? What was the cause of your illness?

Once I was suffering from insomnia. There was no stone I left unturned to unchain myself from the trouble I was in. I have passed through many sleepless and painful nights. Sorrowfully, not a soul was able to discover the disease I was suffering from. Dejectedly, people were coming up with different speculation regarding my condition. My weight kept going down. I lost all my hair. I found myself a hopeless guy. Death was getting itself ready to swallow me straight away. I was in desperate mood.

On one unlucky day, while I was having my dinner with relatives and loved ones, I fainted and fell down. Immediately, I was taken to Yekatit 12 Hospital. My hair was turning into red. Doctors were fighting to save my life. One day, one of my friends came to visit me and said, "You have eaten a rat poison. That is why your hair is turning into red. Therefore, you should be able to look for a solution instantaneously." I was not able to believe my ears. I was taken to Switzerland shortly. I was examined by seventeen doctors and at the end of the day, they removed the poison. Bit by bit, I was able to feel myself. Nobody had expected I would stay alive. I would like to forward my deep respect and appreciation to Dr. Portman, the chairman of the Oris Watch Company in this regard.

Let us now turn to your personal life. I am sure our readers would like to know more about your own family. Are you married? If so, what was your love life like? Whom do you live with at this moment in time?

Before I got married, I had the opportunity to spend my time with a couple of girls. I began living under the same roof with my wife in 1963 EC. She is from Dilla town. I had passed through many ups and downs as a consequence of my wife's love. It is a long story to put in plain words the channels we have gone through to make our dream become a reality. Devoid of any overstatement, our wedding was the talk of the entire Dilla. At that point in time, I was hiding my height from the wedding attendances seeing that I was not tall. Happily, nobody had noticed my height by reason of the countless cars filled the town of Dilla. Most people thought that I was one of the relations of the royal leader. The late Tilahun Gessesse was one of the singers who added colour to the wedding.

You are expressing your love towards your country in various ways no matter what the cost may be. Where does this never-ending love come from? How do you define Ethiopia?

To the best of my knowledge, there are two affluent countries in the world. The first one is America, which is wealthy in science and technology and the second one is Ethiopia, which is well-heeled in culture. What is more, Ethiopia is not a colonized country. We are also rich in history while others are rich in capital. Ethiopia is also the cradle of human kind.

To my mind, our problem is the image we have about ourselves; we belittle ourselves. All Ethiopians love their country more than anything, I do believe. In the same way, if you love your country with all your heart, you will be successful in life. We should always take part in our country's happiness and tribulations. Ethiopia is a civilized country. We may be late to acquaint ourselves with the current modern life style. For instance, Sauna bath existed in Ethiopia during King Fasiledess. The Rock Hewn Churches of Lalibela and the Obelisks of Axum make abundantly clear the Ethiopian civilization.

What clicks into your mind when you learnt the determination of the government to construct the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam? What contributions have you been making to the construction of this landmark Dam?

Frankly speaking, when I learnt the news of the government determination to build the Grand Renaissance Dam, I could not believe my ears. I expressed my infinite happiness in various ways. At the moment, I have been throwing in my share to the Dam no matter what the cost may be for the reason that it gives me pleasure and satisfaction. By the way, the late Prime Minster Meles Zenawi is courageous. I am highly proud of our achievement. Currently, I have been throwing my share by advertising 'Abay' without charge. Furthermore, I have planned to come up with new advertising techniques which trigger off the general public to work hand in glove till the completion of the Renaissance Dam. I consider the Nile River as the drop of my blood in view of the fact that it belongs to all Ethiopians. After the completion of the Renaissance Dam, industries and factories will expand in the left, right and centre of the country without a shred of doubt. What is more, countless jobs will be created in a little while.

You have been to various parts of the country with the intention of encouraging people from all walks of life to donate blood for their compatriots. What was the reaction of the people towards the campaign like? Are you achieving the intended target as expected?

I have been to various parts of the country with an eye to heartening the public to donate blood to their compatriots. To my amazement, everybody is donating blood from time to time at any price. They have been demonstrating their unreserved respect and positive reception where on earth I go by means of donating blood with pleasure. At this moment in time, mothers die to scarcity of blood in hospitals give up for good leaving behind their beloved ones. The number of blood donors has been increasingly steadily. In this fashion, we have been able to rescue the lives of many people from taking their last breath on account of shortage of blood. My satisfaction is immense in this regard.

Before winding up our conversation, is there anything you would like to add?

At the outset, I have been to different parts of the world many times. Without any exaggeration, the love of America has already been engraved in the heart of my heart seeing that America is everything to me. More to the point, the bread of countless needy people who go to America from different parts of the world buttered well within a year or so. It is also the secret of my sons' success. God bless America!

As far as my country is concerned, as the youth possess brilliant mind, they should be on the right track giving due weight and attention to the culture of Ethiopia. They do not have to belittle their culture for the reason that Ethiopia is the uncrowned queen of culture. The Obelisk of Axum, the Rock Hewn Churches of Lalibela and all that cannot be found anywhere. Furthermore, our country is the cradle of human being and the origin of coffee. Nobody can disagree with this fact. As to me, the youth ought to refrain themselves from smoking and munching 'Khat' in addition to brining into the light themselves with the history of their forefathers.

0 አስተያየቶች:

Post a Comment

like us on facebook

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *